Friday, April 30, 2010

Cookies and Creme Pop Tarts get rare A+

I love Pop Tarts. Always have, always will.
They’re the perfect food. They come in nicely wrapped, highly portable packages; keep forever and can be consumed quickly just about anywhere. They don’t need to be refrigerated, and you can eat them right out of the pack or toast them in the microwave.
Just when you thought they couldn’t get any better, I encountered a new variety of Pop Tarts yesterday in the grocery store – Frosted Cookies and Crème. (You know it has to be fancy when they spell “cream” as if we’re in a French restaurant.)
Needless to say, this new variety is pretty good and is now high running on my list of favorite Pop Tart flavors. (I say it’s new because I first encountered them yesterday. For all I know, they may have been out for a while.)
So what makes this variety of Pop Tart special? Let’s start with the chocolate cookie crust before moving on to the sweet, white frosting that’s sprinkled with cookie crumbs. Inside all that, you’ll find smooth vanilla crème filling.
Probably the best thing about these Pop Tarts for the health conscious folks in the reading audience is that they’re relatively low in calories. Just one pastry has just 190 calories, so you’d have to eat five of them to match the calories you’d find in a Double Whopper with Cheese. Also, according to the box, these Pop Tarts are a good source of six – count ‘em, six – vitamins and minerals.

Locally, you’ll find these Pop Tarts in most grocery stores. I bought mine at Excel Supermarket and tossed them behind the seat of my truck, where they’ll ride until I get hungry while I’m on the road. You never know when you’ll be struck by the urge to consume a Pop Tart, so you have to be prepared.
In the end, I give Frosted Cookies and Crème high marks and would recommend them to anyone out there in the reading audience who likes this sort of thing. They get an A+ in my book.
Have any of you tried these? If so, what did you think about them? Let us all know by posting a comment below.

1 comment:

  1. A few years ago, I developed an affinity for apple cinnamon Pop Tarts. Surprisingly, they were the only variety that I enjoyed more after popping them into the toaster. I had long enjoyed s'mores and good old frosted blueberry, but these I consumed straight from the package. Indeed, my apple cinnamons were in a class by themselves. Then, they disappeared. First from winn Dixie, then from Wal-Mart (my two closest stores). Next, Brunos stopped carrying them. I finally found them in the Piggly Wiggly in Evergreen, and I'd stop in and stock up on as many boxes as I could carry when I would visit the LifeFlight base there. Then, finally, the pig also dropped them. And let me make myself crystal clear: apple strudel is NOT THE SAME THING. Maybe I should start a grass roots effort to bring them back. Lee Rumbley

    ReplyDelete