Friday, April 16, 2010

Michelob Original Lager (meant for yesterday)...

Day before yesterday, for the first time ever, I got the chance to sample a bottle of Michelob Original Lager.
I know, I know, you’re thinking that I must live a sheltered life if I’ve never had one of these, but for the life of me, I don’t remember ever having one.
According to the bottle, this beer “was first brewed in 1896 as the beer for beer connoisseurs. It was available only in draught form and only at select locations, including The Michelob Tavern in St. Louis, where retailers and distributors were instructed on the proper methods of storing, pouring and tasting this exceptional Munich-style lager.”
This beer tasted good, and if I had to give it a letter grade, I’d give it a solid B. It wasn’t the best beer I’ve ever had, but it was far from the worst.
On the downside, this beer comes with a “pry off” top, which I don’t prefer.
I hope to kick up my beer judging a notch and have been reading up on the subject. As you might expect, there’s a lot on the internet about how to judge a beer’s quality. One of the more interesting items I’ve found is this short, one-page document called “How to Judge Beer” by Peter Garofalo. You can read it hear at http://www.bjcp.org/docs/How_to_Judge_Beer.pdf.
(As always, don't be an idiot. Use some common sense, drink responsibly and never drink and drive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment