Thursday, April 8, 2010

Try the "Hooley Burger" at the Hooley Grill

If you’ve never been to Hooley’s Grill, near the intersection of U.S. Highway 84 and Old Stage Road (on the Monroe-Conecuh county line), then I recommend you check it out.
For the first time ever, Crystal and I went there today for lunch, and we weren’t disappointed. I’ve been itching to go there for about a week now, ever since I saw their sign on Highway 84 advertising their “Hooley Burger.”
Today, I had the Hooley Burger combo with fries and sweet tea. Crystal had the Hooley Burger combo with curly fries and water. We got our food fast, and we were both surprised by the size of our enormous cheeseburgers. In fact, they were so big that Crystal only ate half of hers. (I ate the other half tonight for supper.)
I can say that I’ve never eaten a burger quite like a Hooley Burger. Not only is it bigger than most burgers, but it also comes with a special sauce and with fried onion rings instead of plain, old onions. I’d definitely put the Hooley Burger on my top ten list of things to eat locally.
The fries tasted good, but they weren’t remarkable. They weren’t bad. They were just ordinary, crinkle-cut fries.
The sweet tea on the other hand was above average. It wasn’t too sweet like some teas you get, and it didn’t leave me reaching for more sweetener.
This restaurant hasn’t been open long, and it’s nice and clean. In addition to a friendly, helpful staff, you’ll also find plenty of places to sit in this spacious restaurant. Crystal remarked that she’d like to come back on a Sunday, when they serve all-you-can-eat pancakes.
We also got our food in a timely manner, which is important to most working folks. I had the day off, but Crystal, who works in Monroeville, had to be back to work by one o’clock. We sat down at around 12:15 p.m., and she was done eating and out of there in plenty of time to make the trip back to Monroeville.
Also, for the amount of food we got, our meal was relatively inexpensive. Altogether, it cost us less than $13.
As mentioned, this restaurant is located on Old Stage Road, in the same block of buildings as the Old Stage Road Grocery. If you’re coming from Monroeville and pass Randy Raye’s, you’ve gone too far.
In the end, here are my grades for the restaurant. I give the Hooley Burger an A, the sweet tea a B and the fries a B-. The staff gets an A-, and the facilities get a B. Overall, I give our entire eating experience there an A. I will definitley be going back, maybe on Sunday for some of those all-you-can-eat pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment