Friday, June 18, 2010

'G.I. Joe' movie disappoints

I finally got around to watching 2009’s “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” yesterday, and I was disappointed by the movie.
Back in the days when my TV only got four stations, I grew up watching the “G.I. Joe” cartoon series on Channel 15 out of Mobile. Also during that time (we’re talking fourth through sixth grade here) and with the aid of my grandpa, I used to buy monthly issues of Marvel’s G.I. Joe comics at the Junior Food Store in Frisco City. Long story short, at one time I was well up-to-date on all things G.I. Joe. I even had a few of the action figures.
So when I heard that a live action G.I. Joe movie was in the works, I was more than a little interested. I pictured something along the lines of the very slick X-Men, Spiderman, Blade, Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider and Iron Man movies that have come out in recent years. I guess I had my hopes set too high, because “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” fell well short of the bar set by those movies.
In the movie, G.I. JOE has to stop a multi-national arms company and terrorist organization from destroying some of the world’s largest cities with “nanomites,” that is, microscopic robots that are designed to consume metal. As you would expect, after a few set backs, the members of G.I. JOE, which stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, saves the day.
While watching the movie, I couldn’t figure out if the acting was just plain terrible or if the writers were to blame for the movie’s poor quality. I tend to side with bad acting after I learned that Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner chose screenwriter Michael Gordon to do the script on the basis of his work in “300,” which is an awesome movie.
On the upshot, G.I. Joe was not short on action. Rated PG-13 for “strong sequences of action violence and mayhem throughout,” there were over 250 explosions in the movie and 112 cars were destroyed during filming, which was a record number of cars destroyed in a movie at that time.
In the end, it’s unlikely that I’ll ever watch this movie again. There is a sequel in the works, and I hope that it will be a lot better than the first movie. Have any of you seen “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra”? If so, what did you think about it? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment