Thursday, September 16, 2010

Five Guys 'All the Way' Bacon Cheeseburger does not disappoint

I’ve heard my sister, who lives in the Huntsville area, often talk about Five Guys, a “fast casual” hamburger restaurant that she really likes.

I finally got to sample Five Guys during a trip to Mobile earlier this week, and I left with mixed feelings about the restaurant.

First, the positives.

I ordered an “All the Way” Bacon Cheeseburger, and it was awesome. Was it the best hamburger I’ve ever eaten? I don’t know, but it’s definitely in the top ten. The thing was huge and literally fell apart in my hands as I consumed it.

The staff was also reasonably clean cut and polite, and they seem a little older, mostly college age, than your run-of-the-mill fast food restaurant workers. The restaurant I visited is located at 4663 Airport Blvd. in Mobile, which is very close to the campus of the University of South Alabama, so the make up of the staff should come as no surprise.

There were also barrels of peanuts all around the restaurant, and you could scoop as many as you’d want into one of those boat-shaped French fry containers to take back to your table. It was very similar to the free peanut type experience you’ve probably had at Outback or Lone Star.

I also thought the restaurant was clean, and I liked how they decorated the place with signs that detailed the many “Best Burger” awards they’ve received from around the country.

One of the signs was especially cool in that it told you that you could visit the restaurant’s Web site and order your food there for pick up at the restaurant. I’m sure there are other restaurants do this, but I can’t name any with any certainty.

Now, the negatives, and there are a few.

First, the price. I ordered one hamburger ($5.99) and a regular drink ($1.99), and my total was $8.78 after taxes. The hamburger was good, but I don’t know if it was that good. In their defense, refills were free and unlimited, and I did take advantage of this.

Second, the place didn’t appear to be very busy, but it took them a long time to prepare my food. Again, in their defense, I was in the place during the lunchtime rush, so I’ll cut them some slack. I’m not usually one to nit-pick about this sort of thing anyway.

Last, but not least, they had the music up way too loud. At the risk of sounding like an old fogy, it was just a little too much. They played a mix of music, mostly 80’s pop, which I like as much as the next fellow, but I could hardly hear myself think.

In the end, the food was as good as my sister claimed, and I in no way left there hungry. Will I go back? You bet. I just hope they don’t have the music up so loud next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment