Saturday, February 25, 2012

Handheld weather station is perfect for backyard weather observations

Regular visitors to this blog will know that I’ve been making and recording daily weather observations in this space since mid-November. For a little over a month, I’ve been using a neat, useful handheld tool that has helped me make more detailed readings – Ambient Weather’s WS-108 Keychain Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer and Compass.

I’ve been test driving this device in the field since Feb. 21, and I’ve found it to be more than reliable. For my purposes, I’ve been using the device’s digital compass to give me a more accurate wind direction reading. Prior to that, I’d been using an analog, military-style compass to take my wind direction readings. I like the device’s compass because it will give you the direction reading in degrees and in 16 compass point directions (S, SSE, SE, etc.)

The only other feature that I use on a regular basis is the barometer. I always take this reading indoors because you’re supposed to take barometric readings indoors. I always take my barometric readings in inches of mercury (inHg), but it will also give it to you in millibars.

In addition to the compass and barometer, the device includes a digital clock, thermometer, altimeter and a simple weather forecaster. It also comes with a carabiner clip and features a bright, 30-second LED backlight similar to the backlight you’ll find on many wristwatches today.

I use a front-porch digital thermometer to take my daily temperature readings, but if I were to use the device’s thermometer, I feel that it would be pretty reliable. It’ll give you the temp anywhere within the range of 14 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. It’ll also give you the temp in degrees Celsius if you’d rather have it that way.

The device’s weather forecaster is very simple, but I haven’t paid much attention to it because I don’t make that part of my daily weather observations. It’ll supposedly forecast the weather 12 to 24 hours in advance. The forecasts are based on barometric pressure changes and are displayed as an icon that indicates whether it’s going to be sunny, partly cloudy, rainy, etc.

The device is powered by a coin-shaped battery, similar to a watch battery, only larger. Like a wristwatch, the device remains on all the time, and I’ve been using it for over a month, and have yet to notice any decrease in performance due to a low battery. It’ll be interesting to see how long it will take for the battery to run down. The trick then will be to find a place locally where I can buy a replacement battery. I may be able to buy one at Wal-Mart, but if not, I may have to order one from somewhere online or check the local jewelry stores.

If you’re interested in buying one of these handheld weather stations, check Amazon.com or www.ambientweather.com. I bought mine from Amazon, and it cost about $24 before shipping and handling. Not only is it perfect for backyard weather observations, it would also be ideal for hikers, campers, runners, bikers and boaters.

In the end, how many of you have had the chance to use one of these Ambient Weather handheld weather stations? What do you think about it? Do any of you use any other similar devices? If so, what kind do you use and what do you like or dislike about it? Let us know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment