Monday, July 22, 2013

LIFE LIST UPDATE – No. 155: Drink Cognac

I scratched another item off my “life list” last Thursday when I sampled some Cognac for the first time ever. Cognac is a type of brandy and for whatever reason, I’ve managed to go 37 years without ever having tried any. I’ve never really enjoyed drinking liquor, but I’ve always been intrigued by Cognac (pronounced like “cone-yak”).

Jas Hennessy & Co. is the world’s largest producer of Cognac, and the Cognac that I sampled was “Hennessy Very Special Cognac.” The “Very Special” designation means that the contents have been stored in a cask for at least two years. This is the “youngest” type Cognac that you can buy. Other types have been stored in casks for at least four years or more.

Prior to sampling some Cognac, I did a little research and learned that if you want to get the full experience, there’s a certain way that you should drink Cognac. Using the glass pictured above, I poured about an ounce and then let it warm in my hand for about 10 minutes. Supposedly, this raises the temperature of the Cognac and helps to release the flavor of the drink.

While doing this, you’re also supposed to observe the drink’s color, which can tell you a lot about Cognac. Younger Cognacs like the one I had are more yellow in color, and older Cognacs are more red, almost an auburn color.

As with certain types of wine, it’s also suggested that you smell your Cognac. You’re supposed to put your nose on the edge of the glass and inhale. Next, you’re supposed to swirl the glass, which releases even more of the liquor’s aroma. Personally, I couldn’t tell the difference, but maybe my nose just isn’t as fine tuned as some or maybe I just need more practice.

Next, it’s recommended that you only take a small sip of the Cognac, which allows you to slowly taste the full flavor of the drink. I did so and followed that with several small sips until the drink was gone. Cognac reminded me a lot of whiskey, and it didn’t blow my socks off or anything. However, I can see why people enjoy a good drink of Cognac every once in a while, especially after a big meal.

Myself, I’ve always found liquors overly harsh and somewhat hard to drink and enjoy. I guess over time people acquire the ability to swig all types of drinks, even liquors with a strong bite to them. Of course, I’ve never tried mixing Cognac with anything to soften it up any.

In the end, how many of you have ever tried Cognac? What did you think about it? What’s your favorite brand? Let us know in the comments section below.

(Also before I close this thing out, I want to point out that the above article is about an alcoholic beverage, and should only be enjoyed responsibly. If you have to drink, only do so in moderation and never drink in drive. Drink responsibly and don’t even touch the stuff if you’re not legally old enough to buy it.)

2013 LIFE LIST ITEMS I’VE COMPLETED TO DATE:

1. Ate a peach from Chilton County, Alabama
2. Ate at Big Daddy’s Grill in Fairhope
3. Ate at Callaghan’s Irish Social Club in Mobile
4. Ate catfish at the Stage Coach Café in Stockton
5. Ate octopus
6. Attended a Beulah Campground service
7. Drank a fresh lemonade at Toomer’s Drugs in Auburn
8. Drank Cognac
9. Drank goat’s milk
10. Hiked the Grand Canyon
11. Joined the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society
12. Joined the Sons of Confederate Veterans
13. Listened to Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” without interruption
14. Listened to The Beatles’ “White Album” without interruption
15. Planted a vegetable garden
16. Ran the Alligator Trot 5K in Florala
17. Ran the Battle of Mobile Bay 5K on Dauphin Island
18. Ran through the Bankhead Tunnel in Mobile
19. Read all the Hellboy graphic novels
20. Read “And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie
21. Read “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” by Roald Dahl
22. Read MLK’s “I Have a Dream” speech
23. Read “Savage Wilderness” by Barry Ralph
24. Read the entire Bible
25. Saw the Ginkgo tree in Evergreen
26. Tried 100 different types of beer
27. Visited Ellicott’s Stone
28. Visited the Grand Canyon
29. Visited the grave of Lewis Lavon Peacock
30. Watched “A Streetcar Named Desire”
31. Watched “Brazil” (1985)
32. Watched “Dracula” (1931)
33. Watched “Nosferatu” (1922)
34. Watched “This Is Spinal Tap”

(AUTHOR’S NOTE: The whole point of these life list updates is NOT to draw attention to myself or to anything that I’ve done. Instead, I hope to encourage others to accomplish their own bucket list goals. I’m just a regular guy, and if I can do these things, so can you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment