Saturday, July 26, 2014

Singleton recounts his not so fond memories of Camp Shelby, Miss.

George Buster Singleton
(For decades, local historian and paranormal investigator George “Buster” Singleton published a weekly newspaper column called “Somewhere in Time.” The column below, which was titled “Memories of Camp Shelby: always hot, dry or wet,” was originally published in the Oct. 8, 1987 edition of The Monroe Journal in Monroeville, Ala.)

Camp Shelby, Miss. is a unique place. There are things to be found there that cannot be found anywhere else on the face of the earth – such as red bugs and small ticks that can bite like an alligator. Also, no where else can the humidity stay at an even 99 percent for days at a time.

Camp Shelby came into being during the great military build up just prior to the Second World War. What started out in a scrub-oak and pine thicket in the days before the war turned out to be the largest military base east of the Mississippi River.

Camp Shelby boasted of over three quarters of a million men during the height of the European-theater action. Camp Shelby was the debarkation point for all of Europe and North Africa.

During the heavy fighting across Belgium and Holland, as many as six troop trains a day departed Camp Shelby, carrying thousands of soldiers to their date with destiny. Many who boarded the troop trains there at Camp Shelby never returned.

In the closing days of the war, Camp Shelby became a mustering-out point for the soldiers returning from the war. Many who were fortunate enough to make it back to the shores of America were released from the Army at Camp Shelby.

As the huge Army post was gradually phased out, the scrubby pines and the palmetto claimed the land once again. Then someone had the wise idea that it would be profitable to bring the many National Guard units to Camp Shelby for training. This would help the local economy and bring much-needed funds into the area. This is where my story begins.

As administrator for the Army National Guard, I was destined to go to Camp Shelby many times. My visits were always at the hottest, driest or wettest time of the year. There have been no in-betweens.

Always, just prior to my arrival, the largest, meanest redbugs come out of hiding. Each is like a great bear that has been asleep all winter and wakes up, eating everything in sight.

Then there is the weather. Always it rains and the humidity skyrockets. Some years back when Hurricane Camille hit the Gulf Coast, there I was, at Camp Shelby. That Sunday afternoon and night were among the longest of my lifetime. Several times that night, I thought it might all end here, right in the middle of the place that I disliked so much. What a shame, I thought. Of all the many places in the world that I had been, the end might come right here in the pine and scrub-oak thickets of South Mississippi.

I have returned many times since that frightful Sunday night, each time battling the ticks, redbugs and horseflies. Always looking forward to the day to pack up and move out.

But all is not in vain, June 27 marked my final departure from dear old Camp Shelby. If all goes well, before the time comes around again to return to this garden spot deep in the heart of Mississippi, I will have stood my last roll call and retired from the military.

With this thought in mind, as I approached the south gate of the reservation, I stopped and proceeded to kiss the gatepost a final farewell. The military policeman on duty there looked at me awfully strangely. I guess I should have explained to him what the occasion was.

As I headed toward Alabama and home, the words of this little known poet kept passing through my mind.

Pass in review all the memories
That dwell within my soul.
For the time has come to bid
Farewell, and the voices of the
Past cry out to be remembered.

And if I should, by mistake, remember
This place, may I be kicked in the
Head by a mule, and the fleas of a
Thousand camels infest my armpits.

(Singleton, the author of the 1991 book “Of Foxfire and Phantom Soldiers,” passed away at the age of 79 on July 19, 2007. A longtime resident of Monroeville, he was born on Dec. 14, 1927 in Marengo County and served as the administrator of the Monroeville National Guard unit from 1964 to 1987. He is buried in Pineville Cemetery in Monroeville. The column above and all of Singleton’s other columns are available to the public through the microfilm records at the Monroe County Public Library in Monroeville. Singleton’s columns are presented here each week for research and scholarship purposes and as part of an effort to keep his work and memory alive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment